What is Motiwala Capital ?
Motiwala Capital is an independent, fee-only Registered Investment Advisor based in Texas. We provide equity portfolio management services to individuals. As a fee-only firm, Motiwala Capital does not accept any referral fees or compensation that is contingent upon on the purchase or sale of a financial product.
What kinds of accounts can you manage?
Account types: Individual / Joint / Traditional IRA /Rollover IRA /Roth IRA /SEP IRA / Inherited IRA/ Trust/ LLC
Is there a minimum investment amount to get started?
The recommended minimum investment is $50,000. We may be able to waive this minimum if you want to start with a smaller amount and grow it over time.
What are your advisory fees?
Motiwala Capital is a fee based investment advisor. We charge an asset management fee which is 1% of the account value (net asset value) on an annual basis. Our fees are charged quarterly in arrears.
We also have the option of performance based fees for qualified clients.
Where is my account held?
Each client has his own separate brokerage account at InteractiveBrokers
What is your investment philosophy?
We are a value investing firm. That means we view buying a stock as purchasing a long-term partial ownership position in a business, not as a piece of paper that changes hands daily. We manage others’ money the same way we manage our own, and because of that, we tend to study a company closely prior to investing. We build focused portfolios of 15 to 25 meaningful positions in the common stocks of good businesses run by managers we admire. We do our own research, keep transactions costs low, buy for the long-term and above all ensure we buy shares when they are cheap. We are solely concerned with getting a good price on the shares of a few good businesses – independent of economic forecasts, Wall Street consensus and financial media noise. We believe this is the only rational way to invest. See our presentation on our investment philosophy
Who will be managing my money?
Client portfolios are managed by Adib Motiwala who is the President of Motiwala Capital. Adib holds an MBA degree from the University of Texas at Dallas. He has been investing personally for several years in the US. He also has a Masters degree in Computer Science from Texas A&M University.
How many investments will there be in my portfolio?
We manage concentrated portfolios as good investment ideas are far and few. Typically, the portfolios we manage contain about 15-25 positions. We also invest in special situations/event driven investments.
What is the account opening process in brief?
Once you have decided to let Motiwala Capital manage an account for you, the process is as follows
- You will receive an email that contains a link to open an account at Interactive Brokers
- Complete the online application form along with the funding step. See FAQ below for funding options
- You will receive an email with documents from us. Please retain these for your reference. Please complete, sign and return the Acknowledgment of Disclosure Documents and Client Advisory Agreement (by email/fax/postal mail)
Will I get statements for tax filing?
Yes. Interactive Brokers provides year end statement for tax purposes. You can import it into your tax preparation software or enter the aggregate totals for the relevant categories. Please consult your tax advisor for more details. We do not provide tax guidance.
How do i reset my IB password?
The client must call Interactive Brokers to reset their password. Client must contact Customer Service at 877 442 2757.
What if I have more questions?
Please feel free to contact us via email email@example.com or telephone (817-689-5115)
FUNDING: How do I fund my account at Interactive Brokers?
Please call us to find out the best way to fund your account. We provide some helpful information below.
- Funding at IB – ( Open the link and Click on Fund Transfers tab to read more about funding methods such as Wire, Check, Online bill payment, ACH)
- ACH – Recommended method to fund your IB account via a bank account.
- ACATS – US Broker to Broker position transfer system. Requests to have your cash and positions automatically moved from a third-party US broker to IB are initiated from the Position Transfers page in Account Management. This is the fastest method for account transfers and works for regular accounts as well as IRA accounts held at a brokerage such as Scottrade.
General information on ACATS | ACATS Video
- Check: Mail Your Check to Interactive Brokers
If sending via overnight delivery service (FedEx, DHL, UPS, others)
Interactive Brokers LLC
8 Greenwich Office Park
Greenwich, CT 06831-5149
If sending via regular mail or US Postal Service (USPS) EXPRESS MAIL
Interactive Brokers LLC
P.O. Box 5235
Greenwich, CT 06831-0504
* The maker of the check must be the IB account holder.
* Your name must be printed on the check. (IB does not accept starter checks).
* You must write your IB Account Title and Account number on the check.
* The amount entered on the check must match the amount specified on the deposit notification. You can create the funding notification or contact us to do it for you.
* You must sign and date your check.
* The check must be payable to Interactive Brokers LLC.
- Trustee to Trustee IRA ONLY – (Example: When moving an IRA from Vanguard or another mutual fund company.)You may transfer assets from an IRA account held with another trustee/custodian to an IB IRA account. The assets are transferred directly trustee/custodian to trustee/custodian, with no distribution of assets to you. When you choose Deposit Instructions and then Trustee-to-Trustee from Account Management, you will be presented with an IRA Transfer In Authorization form. You can also Download the PDF form here
You must print, complete and return this form to IB.IB requires that you have this form notarized. Call us if you need help to complete this form.
- Rolling over your 401(K)
- Check from old custodian
Clients can choose to rollover their 401(K) accounts from a former employer to an IRA account. Rules can vary slightly by custodian.We recommend clients call their current 401(K) custodian to ask about the IRA rollover processUsually the custodian will issue a check and send it over to you. The check should be made out to “Interactive Brokers LLC – FBO Client Name”. Make sure to tell them that this will be going to a rollover IRA ( traditional IRA). In that case, no taxes will be withheld. Once you receive the check, mail the check to Interactive Brokers. You will then login to IB Account Management and create a check deposit instruction.Click here to learn how to create the notification or contact us.Direct Rollover
In some cases, the custodian will be willing to send the check directly to Interactive Brokers. In that case, you will need to mail a Direct Rollover form to Interactive Brokers. This form can be found from within Account Management -> Position Transfers. Call us or IB if you need help with this form.
Make sure to have this form notarized
Disclosure: Interactive Brokers LLC is not affiliated with and does not endorse or recommend Motiwala Capital LLc. Interactive Brokers provides execution and clearing services to customers of Motiwala Capital LLC. For more information regarding Interactive Brokers LLC, please visit www.interactivebrokers.com.